PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail dragger 'experience'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 22:34
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for feedback.

There are two Luscombe SL8 flying here, but they're not used for initial training, only post-PPL. I could fly it before PPL practical, but only with instructor and not for landing practice etc, to mess things up.

I thought J3C is responsive enough.. I guess it's not all 'same' even with comparable vintage of airplanes. I just said what I was told. The instructors and pilots like Luscombe. They just told me they're more complex than J3/PA11 and that they need to be handled well/more corrections etc. I used the word twitchy, but you guys don't like it, heh.

I call R22 more twitchy than S300 (helicopters, for those fixed wing only aficionados) - very responsive and has to be flown well, not to bite. First hand experience of R22, no other heli so far, but I'm told Sweizer 300 is more forgiving and slower to react to inputs (=stable).

That C140 here doesn't have engine fitted/delivered/fixed right now, been standing in hangar for while, so I don't think I'd see it in the air while I'm here.
Since SL8 cost me same as J3, but faster, I could do bit of cruisin' with it. Definitely more fun than C150.

Last edited by MartinCh; 25th Jul 2010 at 01:12.