PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA flies back into profit
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 17:18
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, been reading too much BA News again have you Jet II.Let me debunk some of the utter garbage you've just spouted:

Exactly who are the these other people in BA who have got much better treatment than the pilots - As a member of the groundstaff of BA who works mainly with other airlines I can assure you that BA flight crew are some of the most pampered people I have ever come across

CSDs(big pay rise), IM staff (superior staff travel), middle managers (superior staff travel, health care, bonuses), etc etc. I'd love to think I was pampered but, staying in the same hotels as other crews I just can't see it. No limo to work like EK, no 6 figure salary like the Americans, no share options like Go, fewer days off and less pay than KL, LH, AF, no 3 crew ops on all transatlantic flights. I could go on.

There are very few companies that supply limo's, nights in hotels if you have an early flight, excessively long stopovers, etc. etc

Limos? Haven't been in a limo since a friends stag night. Do you mean private hire taxis, of the ilk used by many major organisations which set up long term contracts due to the daily requirement for many journeys to and from airports. Or Perhaps you mean a minibus that we often get. How would you prefer us to get to the airport on a nightstop? By train?
Nights in hotels if you have an early flight? Don't remember one of those last time I had the 05:30 CDG. Perhaps you refer to the one off agreement to allow LHR based long haul crew to have the previous night in an LGW hotel if, and only if, they have a very early report the next day. Much the same way as you'd get a hotel from BA if you were sent to work away from your base with an early start the next day. I should think the corporate discount rate on a hotel is a bargain compeared to paying US rates of pilot pay.
Excessively long stopovers? Would you care to specify which? Stopovers are dictated in the first instance by CAA regulated minimum rest times, then by the BA schedule. I'd hardly call one night in New York, two nights in Singapore or 12 hours in Sydney excessive. If somebody finds themselves somewhere for a long time its because BA don't have a return flight for a long time.

Incidentally all these things you describe are pretty much bog standard in most airlines.

I think that you would be better off trying to ensure the survival of the company by cutting out some of the spanish practises rather than slagging off other hard working members of staff who are paid considerably less than you.

Tell that to the tug drivers who earn more than the CEPs. Did you know the average wage in BA is £27000, whereas the starting wage of a CEP is around £19000? Why not specify some of these spanish practices instead of just slagging people off? Care to name any other departments which have produced the same level of productivity increases over the last five years?

I do not begrudge any pilot in BA his money - but if there is money in the company available for pay-rises it should be shared amongst all the staff.

What is this, communist Russia? I can't think of any other company that operates in this way, why should BA? I think you do begrudge BA pilots their money.

We all know that every department in the company is overmaned (including aircrew)
An interesting but utterly wrong misconception. The company know the schedules, the Flight Time Limitations, the retirements, the new hires (none at the moment) and they crank them all into a large supercomputer each year to produce a forecast of how many pilots we need. Flight Ops has the most exact figures for staff requirements of any department, and they have the minimum number of staff they can get away with. Know of any other departments that do this? If we have so many staff, why aren't we letting any go? Why are we desperately short of pilots on the Airbus and the 744? Overmanning is rife in BA, but not in Flight Ops.