PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 07:54
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have just picked up the latest amendment for my type's QRH which now includes Stall Recovery as a memory item. It looks as if they are trying to re-enforce the point that power is not to be used, particularly pertinent of the FBW Airbus where there is no pitch up with power application in normal or alternate law. If you are stalling, you could possibly be in direct law and you will get a pitch up.

IIRC, there was a B737 in the UK (Bournemouth?) which got to a very low speed because the pilot didn't handle the thrust induced pitch up. this is probably what has lead to the manufacturers re-examining thier advice and procedures.

The emphasis seems to be on the fact that the Standard Stall Recovery taught in the early lessons in light pistons is not applicable to all types, and that any recovery actions require consideration - or a type specific automatic response promulgated by the publication of memory actions.

But it's been an interesting thread, in respect of some of the advice being given such as using the rudder to keep the wings level at the stall, and that the stall is speed dependant. I thought these notions had been eradicated years ago. I'm suprised they still seem to exist!