PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Cross Wind Landings
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 04:59
woodyspooney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not remember my aileron inputs that clearly during the first incident in MNL. However I do not normally induce PIOs or make any rapid alternating roll inputs. Having said that, I too suspected that the QAR probably might not have all data on the aileron/spoiler movements when the wings went wiggy waggy in the turbulent crosswinds. I did consider this to be the cause of the cruncher.

The FOQA guys vaguely told me something about the " gear approach " angle being increased suddenly. I did enquire if there were any rapid alternating rudder or aileron inputs indicated but they indicated in the negative. Hence I could not definitively pin point the actual dynamics which led to the cruncher.

Well I am retired now and do not really remember much about the full verbal report by the FOQA guys who had great difficulty articulating the " secret findings " in English ( English was not their first language ).

I have a better recollection of the second cruncher; the aileron inputs and rudder pressure were fairly gentle as far as I remember. As it wasn't that " disastrous" I did not file in any report, so no QAR or FOQA info.

I have come to realise that as always.........." on a one or two lousy day, anything can happen " is an axiom lurking somewhere out there. Bravo and good luck to all the aces, but the 2 crunchers proved a sky deity I ain't!

Last edited by woodyspooney; 23rd Jul 2010 at 05:17.