PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA flies back into profit
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 15:38
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. C & B, you wouldn't by any chance be 'other staff' would you? Could you explain WHY ALL staff should be treated the same? For years pilots have watched other 'favoured' groups in BA receive special treatment. WHY do pilots HAVE to be treated 'the same' as all these other people now? I'm afraid the BA pilots are the only essential group in BA- nobody else is needed- their services can be bought in. Pilots are authorised by the CAA to operate BA services- if other pilots can be bought in and operating BA planes on worldwide routes in 6 months- well I'll believe it when I see it!

The pilots don't need other staff. There are far too many 'other staff'. Most of us would like to see fewer staff than the giant American airlines with far more planes than BA that have fewer staff than BA. So please stop trying to hang onto BA pilots and hope some goodies will fall to other staff if the pilots are going to get any (of course, that's if you're 'other staff'!)! What is needed desperately in BA is a LOT of ruthless culling- we could lose 20,000 staff and still not reach the efficiency levels of British low cost operators or the big American carriers. Ayling's legacy to BA was to create a giant 'Civil Service' of non-productive and useless staff doing pretend jobs (not surprising considering his background of the Civil Service doing.........), and until BA gets rid of that drag to revenue, it will carry on being crippled and obese and have a lousy share price! Sorry if it hurts, but just compare staff numbers with competitor airlines.
-------------------------------
Skippy tried, Skippy failed, now resign!

Last edited by Notso Fantastic; 2nd Aug 2002 at 15:43.