PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilots at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 19:51
atpcliff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys off the RJs were very very lucky to get a job on a widebody jet in the first place. Bet you couldnt do that jump back home. I couldnt where I come from.
In the US, things are a lot different, which is the main reason why it IS difficult for US guys going overseas.

In the US, you are hired based on minimums, which are typically Total time, Multiengine time, sometimes PIC time, sometimes turbine time.

Once they are hired, they are elligible for ANY open airframe...regardless of your background. AND, once you are hired, you moving to another aircraft or FO-->Capt are STRICTLY based on seniority, NOTHING ELSE. The ONLY way not to make Capt when your seniority is high enough (and you meet the insurance minimums), is to not bid for it, or to not make it through training.

What this means, is that guys hired at a major airline who have only flown a Beech 1900, or a King Air, or a little Citation (or a Flight Instructor, with almost all C-172 time, and a little multiengine time), can be assigned a wide-body aircraft as a new-hire, if there are open spots (this was happening at DAL the last time they hired, and has happended MANY times in the US at many different airlines). If you are on a DC-9 as an FO, you can go to directly to the 747-400 as a Captain, if your seniority is high enough.

It seems to me that many foreign flying organizations (like EK), place a lot of restrictions on who can move to, or become captain on which aircraft. I am not saying that one way is better than the other, just that the US system is different from many non-US systems.

On a similar vein, it is also difficult for Americans to adjust to living overseas, as in America things are much more standardized across the country, and they are much more sheltered. The country is so big, and it's physically separated from the other continents, so that many, many people never leave the US, except maybe to go to Cancun (which is 100% Americanized, as far as I'm concerned, which is one of the reasons why I hate Cancun).

I know two prevous US-based families that went to EK. One HATED it and quit right away, and the other likes it a lot. Guess which one was more flexible, and adoptable.

cliff
LFW
PS-When my CEO (the wife) told her friends and co-workers that she was taking the kids on vacation to Africa, almost everyone was shocked beyond belief. Typical.