PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best GPS for GA
Thread: Best GPS for GA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 16:48
Bigglesthefrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're dead right Screetch!
I bought a 5" touch screen GPS navigator from Hong Kong on Ebay for £46 + Postage. After a bit of fiddling about with it and then buying and loading SkyDemon Mobile (The in-flight navigator part of the package) I was able to load a flight plan and fly the route with no problem at all. Notams, weather TAFS and METAR load into the unit when you plug it into an Internet connected laptop or PC. Airspace warnings come up when you go anywhere near controlled airspace. Airfield information and lots of other stuff is a click away and maps for foreign navigation are there to download when you want them for no extra dosh.
For less than £150 I have got a great GPS navigator for my plane that is very well supported by the SkyDemon team and couldn't be easier to use.And when I get back in the car, I can change the memory card over and I've got a road navigator.
I don't doubt that the other GPS products are very good, but £500, £600 or more for (in some cases) less than my SkyDemon unit can do.... Phew!!
I've also just heard that SkyDemon will be bringing out their software on their own hardware devices very soon and I would therefore recommend that when they do, anyone looking for a GPS give it a try.