PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilots at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 15:51
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All pilots considering EK should seek out the answers to their questions before taking the plunge. Although the average American pilot is a good guy and well educated, they struggle more with certain aspects of EK's operation and Dubai in general, than most other pilots. We all struggle with these issues but our USA colleagues arrive here ill-prepared for the reality of the situation.

It is fair to say that our American colleagues have generally led a sheltered life. This is not an indictment on them but rather the reality of the situation.

Granted, there are some great aspects to living in Dubai, such as our memberships to certain Resorts/Clubs and the minimal tax implications but everyone has to overcome the myriad of negative aspects of life in Dubai and our working conditions at EK.

The INDIVIDUAL has no recourse in a society like the UAE or a company like Emirates and this is the most difficult obstacle for American pilots to tolerate. Throw into the equation the higher expectations of western women and it is no wonder that there is such a high incidence of divorce and marital strife which will greatly magnify the negatives of Dubai.

If you are unhappy with your present 'lot in life', then Dubai and Emirates might be the best option for you. But if you are a happily married man (or woman) with a half-decent job and you are thinking that EK might be a better option, then you might want to step back and reconsider things.

I don't know what it will be, but there is definitely something that will happen here in the Middle East (perhaps even worldwide), that will dramatically detract from our present conditions. Emirates keeps announcing more and more aircraft purchases (it's quite exciting actually), but keep in mind that this is the same mentality that almost destroyed Dubai. Bigger is not always better!

Darn it all, bring on the Yanks because I prefer sitting next to them on any given flight, chatting about things that interest us. But be forewarned, upgrade timeframes are already increasing and in all likelihood they will extend to more than 7 years for new-joiners and that is not taking into considertion the possible downfall of this place.

There are storm clouds on the horizon in my opinion and if I am even partially correct, then things are going to get ugly in the next few years. I hope to be gone before the ****e hits the fan! haha