PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When does learning to fly become fun
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 13:45
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when your instructor gets out...
It happens before then! The first couple of lessons were bemusing and you do wonder how you will ever get to grips with everything as so much happens at once.

The first time my instructor told me to do the take off was buttock clenching as I had no warning. Once airborne the satisfaction was huge. Likewise the first time I did a landing. Going solo was nerve racking, though the most anxious time was when I knew it was coming. Once up there all the worries seem to disappear. Then there was departing the circuit, the solo nav ex ...

The nervous anticipation was always replaced after the event by a huge sense of elation and satisfaction with what I had achieved.

Flying an aircraft is so different from anything else you will have done before that you will certainly feel overwhelmed, but this will pass and it does come together, believe me. There is a lot to learn which is why you have minimum hours to obtain your licence. Please don't give up, give yourself a chance. I would say at least 8 to 10 hours to allow things to really fall into place, perhaps less if you are a quick learner (I wasn't!). You won't regret the cost or the time spent.