PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bulldog or Slingsby Firefly
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 10:47
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The Chippy is a bit underpowered and perhaps no the best aircraft for your purposes. But it is delightful to aerobat and it's lack of power forces you to develope an energy efficient aerobatic style. You can get a lot out of it if you aren't too agressive. It has no sustained negative capability, the engine will rich cut even in a slow roll. And I won't mention the oil loss!

I like the Chippy - but with about a thousand hours in them I'm bound to be biased! I preferred it over the Bulldog and the T67. During the last days of the RAF EFTS, the instructors flew the contenders for the JEFTS contract. Two offered the Firefly, one the SAH1, one the FFA Bravo and one the Zlin 260. The general consensus was that none were going to be as good as the Chippy for the job intended, but if we had to chose it would have been the Zlin as it seemed to be the only aircraft up to the job. Personally, I thought it felt like an improved Bulldog and was nicely engineered. the T67 we tried was a 160hp version and with it's bodged second throttle restricting knee movement, it felt like a bit of a lash up. Also, the ailerons were hopelessly under-powered and I couldn't even slow roll it. I later flew the 200hp version and it was a big improvement, but still not as good as the Bulldog, but the ability to do an areos sequence without height loss was a big advantage.

But the Chippy will make you a better pilot.

I'm suprised that none of the "Standard Spin Recovery'' adherants haven't picked me up on by earlier post!