PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF/Army Relations - History
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 07:41
FiveMileSniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair go...

It would also greatly reduce the delusion that RAAF pilots have that they are better trained, therefore better pilots, than their Army counterparts
I agree with your comments S64, about a common pilot training standard. We already have one and it's called 2FTS, unfortunately Army does not send their people there like the Navy. 2FTS does not train their guys to a single pilot fighter standard, rather single pilot day/night IFR,Form, Aeros and Nav. No fighter ops there. I can say that approx 50% of Army pilots would not make it through. Sad I know, but it's the truth.
Because of this Army Avn will always be seen as lesser pilots. The fact that Army Avn also let people who have failed basic flying training (because they could not cut it), and return for a second go (instructor had it in for them, honest, they'll tell you), bypass it altogether as one or two have done (COMD's favorites) or switch to Army because they failed 2FTS (the fish John West reject), does not go unnoticed.
Maybe once we all seem to be on a level playing field we can look at sending RAAF on COAC. I’d love to see a current RAAF knuck present his concept of supporting fires plan to his Army peers and his assessing officer.
Yep, that would really teach em RAAFies fighter pilots good, for thinkin thase is betta. COAC..... mmmmmm, 9 weeks of Staff MAP and individual TEWTs with notional forces to prepare Army officers for HQ/command postions as Majors. Why do most who have attended say the only real value is networking with peers?
I know.... how about we get a Blackhawk pilot as Mission Commander on a LFE plan and brief the OCA, STK, AWACS and Tanker plan,?? hilarious.......wait..... how about an artillery officer? they do COAC and own offensive fires......they would'nt have a clue....I would even go as far as having all Blackhawk and Chinook pilots attend LOAC as all they really do is combat support anyway.

Your comments on what the ADF are really here to do, "Support the troops on the ground" is valid and just, but the RAAF, and all those who fly in it are the best at what they do, which is employ airpower in support of the WHOLE ADF.

May as well have a go at the Navy for being on the ocean and not supporting the troops on the ground.

Picture Clara......