PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPhone apps for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 07:40
spirax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When all this copyright stuff came to a head some years ago, there was much discussion on who actually owns the data...? One opinion is that the 'Commonwealth' owns the data and ASA have the licence to publish it.

In other words when you buy the paper copy, you are paying for the paper and printing etc, not the data therein. ASA had a change of legal manager some years back which brought all this about as she did not understand the issues, but saw it as something that it was not, nor I suggest ever meant to be!
At the end of the day, it is the Commonwealth (the State) that owns the data such as the ERSA, AIP etc. ASA are the keepers of the data and publish it. (After all the Commonwealth is the 'owner' of ASA). Jepps had a war with ASA some years back and in the end gave in just to get the data out there. With the introduction of electronic data and the means now to store and access it in a practical manner the game has changed but ASA have not, which I suggest indicates they do not understand the issues on the table.

I am still of the belief that this is nothing other than an attempt by ASA to increase their income and not to provide a service to the flying community in a method now available and acceptable. Just see what they charge to design and publish a GPS NPA!! $%^&#$@ !!

This is a job that a responsible Minister should rule on. Pity we have not had one of those for a while!