PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does Duty of Care cease?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 07:06
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In for a penny ...

Originally Posted by Harley Quinn
modern servicemen when off duty.
How much does my boss owe DoC to me if I were I in my accommodation?
At what point does that become unreasonable?
Does it matter what type of accommodation is occupied, whether on or off base?
Examples to which your boss might deem it necessary to exercise DoC when off duty might include:

Placing an hotel, bar, or location out of bounds because of the risk of your being harmed. His DoC here probably precedes any H&S b*ll*cks. Over 50 years ago, at the guardroom, there were photos of all the hotels etc that were placed OOBs.

Years ago you had to see permission to live out and the boss would vet your accommodation plans.

You needed permission to marry and he might persuade you not to marry someone, a foreign national for instance.

What if I deemed it to be intrusive?
Too right and your only ultimate option was to get out.

What responsibility does he have for me when I am off duty? (don't start the 'paid 24 hours a day stuff', it won't wash)
Why not? If your off duty habits placed you at such risk that you were unable to perform your duty? He might forbid you hiring a car on det for instance.

Many years ago the services would intervene in many aspects of a servicemans life (classically taking control of the chequebook etc) which would not be tolerated now.
How many years ago? I know where this was done to an officer only 20 years ago. Now he might just be asked to resign if he got in to severe money difficulties.

So, what do you think? Is there any legal opinion out there, or should we just continue to make things up as we seem to now?
So I think it is a question of knowledge. He might place somewhere like Aya Napa out of bounds, or forbid you shopping in Peterborough in uniform, both are especial restrictions placed on you but not your civilian spouse. If he does not know that you are living dangerously, but has set out guide lines, thenhe is covered.

Two more examples: In Cyprus you do not need to wear a motor cycle crash helmet yet I bet your boss, or SSO require you so to do. In Cyprus you can go sports diving without a qualification. DCIs however required all servicemen to have a British diving qualification regardless of whether you are using service or tourist facilties. These all impinge on your liberties to kill and harm yourself. If, having written these rules, your boss then resecinded them you can imagine the cross examination in the court.

So, boss had DoC as far as a reasonable person can consider the risks.