PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilots at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 04:02
a747jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Carlson Clan,

Since nobody has really answered your question, I will try to, in a short manner. They are correct in saying you need to go read the other older forums though as they go much more in depth. I am single and was previously a captain at a regional so I can only pass along things I see from my friends with kids and families, but here are the basics.

1. Emirates have totally and completely screwed any former rj driver due to an amendment to their policy with regards to time over 55 tonnes (115000 pounds roughly) If you are a b777 driver, it only screws you on the upgrade, if you are an a330 driver like me, your are completely f...ed and are locked onto a dying fleet as you cannot even transfer to the A380 and EK rarely allows transfer to the 777 fleet. So, be prepared for a long long time before you can upgrade. Things change overnight here, but as of now, they have screwed EVERY former rj driver, especially the ones on the a330 fleet.

2. FO pay here is good, if you are single. Add a wife and even 1 kid into the mix, and you will find Dubai to be horrific at swallowing money at every corner. Look no further than the local grocery store to discover a head of iceburg lettuce will cost you 5 bucks and a back of cruttons for that salad will add on another 5. There are many many hidden expenses in Dubai and its already a very expensive city

3. You don't even know what being tired is until you come work for EK. Fatigue is a HUGE problem here. Even if rosters go back to a normal value, you will be sleeping at all hours of the day. Translation, from family guys I have talked to, the wife and kids DON'T like it!

4. Frustration, Frustration, Frustration. Dubai will make you want to bang your head into a wall when it comes to getting anything done. This is multiplied with a family. Its a first world face with third world mentality. Going to the bank is one of the biggest pains in the ass you ever did know.

5. Travel back home is not free like it is in the US. It actually costs quite a bit here. The flight benefits are absolutely terrible compared to back home, and yes, even worse than the meager 24 passes you get a year at Eagle.

6. Heat. Say no more. Welcome to 50 C days with humidity

Now, thats just a start, go read some of the other threads. There are a few good things about working here. Getting picked up for work, they feed us like kings on the plane (although it is still airline food), very multicultural for the kids, opportunity to see the other side of the world, pretty good health care for you (not really for your family from what I have been told), and for the most part, you work with great people. My recommendation to you though is since you are a captain at Eagle, STAY there. If you must move, move to a major US carrier. You and your family will be much happier in the long run. That is just my opinion, others may share another.