PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which helmet?
Thread: Which helmet?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 12:35
EI_Sparks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which helmet?

Hmm. After reading the various clothing/shoulderboards/helmets threads, I've come to a conclusion. If I'm going to be sitting in a 30-40 year old airplane made of aluminium (knowing what even I know about metal fatigue and student landings ) with a fair few gallons of fuel above and to either side of my ears, I'm going to happily accept the snigering of the spotty 18-year-old airport kid and wear a nomex flightsuit and nomex gloves, no matter how silly I look in a C150. Now these are easy to choose - something without those silly-looking patches everywhere (though maybe keep the nametag so they know which bit of well-done hamburger was me before I made a hames of the landing) and which fits me instead of gently billowing about me like an oversized postal sack.

What is a more difficult choice is what helmet to look at. (Right, I'm going to ensure I don't burn to death, just so I can enjoy the wonderful sensations of having a sparrow go through the windshield, my face and the headrest, or the ignominity of a fractured skull and altimeter-shaped forehead depression after I make a landing that necessitates adding a "gear down" check to a C150's landing checklist ).
So the question is (he said, finally stopping his babbling and getting to the point):

What helmet do you use or recommend for fixed-wing GA use?

I mean, the LA100 looks good, but is it to a proper helmet what a RAV4 is to a landrover? Does the David Clark Headset kit actually work as a helmet, or would you have the interesting sight of it going *sproing* and leaping clear of your head just before you wallop your cranium on the door pillar? And what about options like amber-tinted screens? A waste of money or somewhat useful? And what about the headset underneath?