PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 21:09
initial vector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget Malaysia

Hey Kash,

Only stumbled upon your thread recently, but had to read the whole thing "cover to cover" as one would call it...
As an outsider, some of your particulates were very funny to read (ants in your tent, ballooning hand due spider bites). I know, cruel humor, but if you read it from a comfortable chair holding a cold beer... Plus I try to see the humor in things as much as possible - not much humor to be found on the job hunt!
Don't hold it against me! ;-)

Anyways, I read about your latest idea, and I would advise against it! As much fun as it would be to read your stories from that part of the world, it isn't worth it.
I am not sure about all the countries, but Malaysia I am certain about.
The Malaysian CAA will not allow operators to hire outsiders if there are locals able to do the proposed work. You having no more experience than any of the locals, this would be an impossible sell for a local operator.
Unfortunately, several countries in that region have similar rules (which are understandable - to save the local market).
An option I know of (and it has been mentioned before) is applying as a FI! Especially Indonesian schools are screaming for FI's! Diamond aircraft just waiting to be flown through fantastic terrain while you get free accomodation and decent wages... Hmm, let me think about that once more..... ;-)
Try lobbying with Buraq in Libya (you are just around the corner). They generally tend to buy brand new (B737-800) which comes with "free" type ratings for the operator. In other words, they could hire non-rated enthusiasts.
Good luck on the hunt!
(if you do decide to head over to the -far- East, drop me a PM)