PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 18:28
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I tried to get across, controllers in Spain are way overworked
They might well be, but that's hardly a new situation.

I've asked this before, but never got a reply:

How many hours was the average Spanish controller clocking say, back in 2008? How many nowadays?

The reason why I ask is because to my knowledge, at least a percentage of ATCOs have always been working far more hours and back-to-back shifts than would be considered safe and responsible, and that was by their own decision as until the recent changes they were in charge of setting their own schedules. Yet it appears that it's only when salaries are being cut that all of a sudden safety comes to mind.

I know in Spain those very reports (whatever they're called there) were not making it as far as they should
Confirmed. I was told by a knowledgeable AENA employee who I trust, not to bother filing any. This was on the occasion when my flight plan was closed after going on ALERFA--they decided, but never checked, that I must have landed on a (restricted, military) airport in France when in fact I had diverted back to LEGE and I was receiving a service from both BCN and LEGE.

As for the military controllers, I have had no interaction with the Spanish Air Force, but I confess I was impressed after my experience with their Navy. From what I've been told by someone from another, well respected European Navy, the Spanish military got a lot more capable in recent times, after joining NATO (yes, I know this was over 20 years ago, but armies don't change overnight).

In any event, their latest little circus is plainly immature and not exactly confidence-inspiring.