PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One of those memorable days
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 14:59
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of those memorable days

Although I have flow tailwheel aircraft for some years I have never really spent much time learning the art of a wheely landing, probably because my local airfield is a bit short for them at 480 meters max. So today was the day to fly with one of the Chipmunk group's ex RAF pilots and instructor. And what a day!!

We get airborne and he first demonstrates a wheely back at Felthorpe. We then move on the Old Buckenham, having phoned ahead. We do four approaches and landings including one at 85 kts with no flaps ..... interesting I am actually flying quite well, which is a bonus

Off the final landing we pay are dues in the club house and enjoy the best cup of tea in a long time. Why does tea (or beer) taste so good after a good work out in the Chippy?

When we arrive the airfield is deserted. As we sit wondering who no one seems to be flying on such a beautiful day the birds start to flock in. First a dark blue RV8. A few minutes later an immaculate Robin DR400, then a Jodel D140, equally immaculate and then a Cessna 180 in silver and red. The local PA 28 180 follows in behind and suddenly the airfield is buzzing. We chat for a few minutes with the crew of the Jodel and C180, who have come some distance (I think for a Loop photo shoot). Finally, it is back to Felthorpe. Final is interesting with the powerful updrafts from the heated land lifting the aircraft even with no throttle. I have to put on some keen sideslip almost to the threshold to avoid a go around.

Some days just stick in you mind for ever and this will be one of them. It reminds me why despite the bureaucracy, fees, maintenance and fuel costs I keep flying.

Last edited by Justiciar; 21st Jul 2010 at 20:42. Reason: correct terrible spelling!!!