PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Operators that you WON'T be joining??
Old 21st Jul 2010, 11:31
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go around flaps 15

We work for the same company, and I totally agree with your opinion that the FOs leaving need to be making the conscious decision that the move to Emirates is the right one. The vast majority of these guys are command ready FOs. Saying that command isn't the 'be all and end all' however they need to be prepared to sit out another 8-10 years in the RHS of an A330 or 777. I think there is much to be made of this type of opportunity (especially if you are mid twenties, single with no kids, mortgage etc) and undoubtably this would influence the perspective that you take on life in the sandbox. However if it doesn't work out (and I know quite a few people who fall into this category) then they have hit a bit of a sticky wicket. It will be difficult to get back to Europe as an experienced FO. And if you do, you will take a firm kick in the teeth in terms of income. Ultimately you need command experience to get home.

The Yank

I agree that good T&Cs are to be had in far off lands (anyone see the recent advert in Flight for Singapore Cargo 744 Captains??) this isn't going to suit everyone. I was hoping to keep the debate central to UK based airlines; however I take your point.

Bia Botal

I agree, if people start to leave in their droves then airlines will have to expand upon their annual flightdeck budgets. However the majority will be concerned about retaining the services of those sitting in the left. I don't see T&Cs improving greatly for FOs. Largely because they can be replaced by cheap cadets, SSTRs, PTFs etc. Then again, if there are REAL shortages of skippers then command ready FOs will be a requirement. An experience gap will need to be bridged. I hope that becomes the case.

Stanstead

To continue from my suggestion above in relation to bridging the experience gap. You specifically make the point that EZY will require DECs, largely due to training department capacity (or indeed lack of). I reckon if DECs are required, then EZY will try and bring them in with reduced T&Cs. An even bigger uproar would result..... However seeing things from the my side of the fence (within FR) DECs are a big part of the airlines plan to 'plug the gap' so to speak. I have noticed that they all go onto a BRK contract as well (no real surprise there).