PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF/Army Relations - History
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 10:26
Super 64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does not matter what service they are from (Army or RAAF), it is the attitude that is displayed.

Yes RAAF aircrew back in the 9SQN days did a sterling job of supporting the troops on the ground, but that attitude, like greens and SLRs, is loooooong gone.

The current day Air Farce has been in the great peace for far too long and have forgotten why they even exist. TO SUPPORT THE TROOPS ON THE GROUND!!!

Ask any USAF C130 or HH60 pilot what their job is and there is no bulls**t about 'Air and Space Power'

Our RAAF people need to re-evaluate their 'vision' and appreciate that they are there to SUPPORT the troops, not only Mon to Fri, or on an ad-hoc or when it suits 'their training requirements' basis.

When the Air Farce ceases to put C130 pilots on JTAC courses, purely to make up the RAAF numbers, instead of giving up that spot to an Army person who will actually utilise the qualification in combat, maybe then their overall lack of warfighting culture can begin to change.

Like this, Do that: You must be kidding, RAAF on COAC!! It is for starters a Combat Officers course, RAAF being a support service does not qualify (maybe LOIC or LOAC is more appropriate). Secondly I have yet to see an RAAF officer (even the senior ones) who understand, little own how to employ the IMAP.

Although it is not entirely the current serving RAAF personnel's fault. It has been years in the making, the insidious nature of being at peace for too long. Soon they actually forget what it was like to fly in combat or even in a high threat theatre (AFG is not a genuinely high threat theatre for RAAF aircrew). It all becomes too easy to turn down the early morning flight because the couple in the adjacent hotel room were 'too loud' all last night. Instead of thinking if I don't make this flight the guys who have been doing the hard yards will miss out on 24 or 48 hours of their ROCL. Yes crew rest is important, but do the guys driving Bush Masters blacked out on goggles through a mine strewn country get 8 hours uninterrupted rest, not likely. Because they are at war and they know this.

Unfortunately the AAAvn was also setting down this dangerous path, they have now seen what it is to be involved in fighting up close, and how much their support is truly needed and appreciated by the guys on the ground.

I wait with baited breath to see how our shiny brand new Air Farce jets are employed in the near future, because if there was ever a perfect theatre for them to be employed, this is it.

Rant over!

S64