PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for A&P's / IA's
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 08:14
NazgulAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muduckace
We are not located in the USA and we are already doing what you suggest, performing part of our own maintenance under supervision of our A&P and have them sign off on it. But
(a) unfortunately this does not count as experience towards gaining a license
(b) it would take too many years to do it this way, since our plane is hopefully not spending its life in the workshop
(c) not all possible jobs are done on it, so this kind of training would be patchy and incomplete
(d) most of what we've done is a once-only kind of thing. You need to do things many times to gain a useful skill.
I've already applied for a position of apprentice tech, but organizations are not overly keen to employ a part-time elderly person no matter how much other experience I may be able to bring in.
Are there any books you can recommend for the theory? Service manuals do tell a lot, but they're not everything.

piggybank
36 months, wow, would that be some 5000 documented hours? Provable/documented how and by whom?

good spark
I'm not sure if ten years of LAMS owner-maintenance on an AA5 would count for much. Most of what was in LAMS has been made part of EASA's approved owner-maintenance actions list and yes, we've done most of what is on that list and that can be done without requiring expensive special tooling. In addition, we've done and are doing other work under supervision, just like a trainee would do... except that we're not getting study credits for this work. I am looking for a sensible way to increase our knowledge and our qualification to do things. It will help us because qualified technicians knowledgeable on our aircraft type are rare.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my question.

Last edited by NazgulAir; 21st Jul 2010 at 08:22. Reason: Forgot the thank-you!