PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eagle Airways "trooper" UK-Singapore 1961
Old 21st Jul 2010, 07:34
Emeraldgreen52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troup[ing Flights

Dear all

Fantastic ..I had not been on thsi site for a while but i am so pleased to see so much on the British Eagles and the Brits and the Trouping flights. My first trip to the Far East and Malaya was in 1955-return in1958. Flew from Stanstead in a Avro York with its Merlins with the Hunting Clan lLine.We sat going backwards. Our next trip was in 1966- return in 1968, Went out in a British Eagle GB-ARKA and i have a black and white box brownie photo of us in Colombo after a thunder storm. The Proteus engines were buy one get one free jobs. We had one catch fire in Kuwait going down the runway at V1 Pilot was pulling up off the ground but slamed it down again. We stayed over night in a Kuwait hotel while another was flown out and fitted.
I like the way that when the Brits are at the beginning of take off... the engines are run up to speed and the brakes are then let off..
The return was in a Brit but was registered to LLoyds. GB-AOVT which was last known as a Fire Training Wreck at Luton. Not much left of it at all now. I am pleased that a Brit is in Eagle colours at Liverpool Speeke airport in complete build and also the DC flying in Eagle Colours. I have as a momento two Charts from the trip home in the LLoyds Britannia with all the trip details on it..Captain, 2nd officer, crew and Height Speed Direction etc. We stopped at Istanbull on the way home. What memories... Cruise height 18000ft speed crusing 380kts.
Going to have a good read of the blogs...