PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 Man Ultra Long Range
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2010, 06:39
Flap10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this do-able with 2 crew?
Which is exactly why I said based on an acclimatised crew! And I am not limiting my examples to FRA/PEK/HKG, but other examples such as HKG/CTS/ANC. The point is under Table A and para 15.4 it can be done according to your flawed interpretation. To take the argument further you can even use discretion to return the aircraft back to HKG, so even unacclimatised 2 crew can operate ANC/CTS/HKG or FRA/PEK/HKG.

It is legal, but a HKG crew could never be acclimatised, and a based crew would never be acclimatised in HKG.
For one thing it is not legal to operate two crew beyond six time zones, hence the intent of "...time difference of 6 hours or more between the places where the duty period began and ended"! I am not concerned about what a European carrier is allowed to do, I am concerned with our own AFTL. Why are you asking me to work out LON/JNB when I haven't even seen their AFTL and when we don't even operate that flight..or do we???

I am using a plausible scenario of two crew calling in sick last minute leaving two based crews to operate flight. If it is legal which option do you think CX will opt for, a) cancel flight with obvious damaging consequences and expenses, or b) depart flight with 2 crew and a stopover in PEK. If you have ever operated 2 crew DXB/BOM/HKG on the airbus I won't need to remind you which option CX will choose. If you recall there have been many instances where CX have had to cancel a flight due last minute sickness. They didn't have any other choices.

Last edited by Flap10; 21st Jul 2010 at 07:00.