PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 17:15
bcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oblasspop,

All the items you mentioned paying would not even be a drop in the bucket compared to what A/C contributes to the tax base of Canada.

People keep trying to say Emirates would create all kinds of jobs here if allowed in. I beg to differ. How many jobs will there really be for one flight a day? Lets have a look.

Baggage handling will be looked after by the lowest cost available, (servise air etc.) who look after alot of other carriers and have a bunch of young guys making min wage available to work the flight. Net job gains, maybe 2 or 3? (part time low paying jobs)

Customer service agents? Again I ask how many do you need to work one flight a day? How many full time CSA's does Emirates employ in YYZ? I would guess not alot. (10? maybe 15 at the very most.. Part time low paying jobs)

The fuelers will not need to hire anyone else.

Catering? They may need 2 or 3 more people at the most to cover an extra 500 meals each day. (part time low paying jobs)

Maintainence? Contracted out to the lowest bidder. Might need a couple guys if whoever they chose is short staffed. (unlikely though)

Travel agents? I'm sure the current staff can handle one more airline option when booking flights.

Advertisement? Again I'm sure the current staff at the various medias can cue up the premade ads Emirates will provide.

Limo drivers? Have a look at the number of limo's cued up at the major airports in Canada waiting for a fare. Definitely no need to hire anyone else.

Should I go on? Please show us where all these great high paying jobs that will contribute to Canada's tax base are coming from?

PS Somehow I don't think customers are CRAVING a 24 hr layover in Dubai to get from YYZ to India or Asia...