PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retractable
Thread: Retractable
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 07:19
Ace Rimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy
The other thing about Arrers is the automatic gear extension - I know they took this out of later versions, after a lawsuit in the the States I dunno exactly when... I'm pretty sure it was before the IV probably half way through the III (first time around) production run but I could be wrong. (Keef? GRP?) So in an engine failure type situation first task is to engage the override (the gear will extend about 10kts above best glide otherwise) Concur with the comments about the gear unsafe light cycling the gear will (in my experience) fix the problem. Also on the the comments about the flare just a nadge of power helps enormously although I suspect this would be less of benefit on the T tail - the stabulator being avbove the prop wash (dunno for sure cause I've never flown a IV). Of course too much and you'll use miles of runway... trial and error will sort that out but that's part of the fun of a new type I guess

For longer XCs I reckon you'll be better off with the Arrer because of the higher wing loading you'll find it more stable in cruise and therefore less hassle.
Bottom line though if you've spent a lot of time in Archers and Warriors you'll find the Arrer an easy transition