PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons for delays
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 14:26
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick I too interpreted Ancient Observers post as you did.

I also know exactly where you are coming from here with regard to safety vs customer service in relation to the Pilot's. It's also a consideration for the CC. I am commited to customer service but if there is a safety issue around giving that customer service then I'm afraid safety takes priority.

Safety is the stated number 1 priority of all UK airlines. In reality the beancounters would rather it wasn't because at times it interferes with their bottom line. However in all the years I have been flying I have never yet seen a Captain take a plane out when he shouldn't to please airline operations/management. The crew on any particular flight are "obsessed" by safety not customer service and sometimes the two clash.

As CC I will curtail a service if I feel it is unsafe to continue due to turbulence. That effects our commision and the company's ancillary revenue. Pax will make a formal complaint re this if they have not received their G&T and nuts as they see this as poor customer service. Most have little/no perception of any safety issue at this time despite the fact they are told on PA.

There are of course people in aviation who really should be "obsessed" by customer service.... PSA's/check in staff/ground staff, booking agents, call centre agents and those employed as customer services "champions" so I agree with Ancient Observer on that point.

As CC I frequently take the flack when any of these fail on the way to the pax boarding.......

I'm thread drifting!! Back to reasons for delay. Well I've been flying for many years both as crew and SLF and experienced many delays. At all times I have been informed of the reason.....mostly by the Captain of the departing flight. He takes time out (when he doesn't have to) from the pre take off checks to tell the pax.....that is commitment to customer service IMHO