PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abc
Thread: Abc
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 03:03
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dave,

first thing I have to do, is to look up "phase angle" or "gamma"

As metioned somewhere else in Rotorhead, my academic understanding of all this is extremly limited, however I think I understand principle things about helicopters (as far as I need them for "daily" life as a helo-driver), however the ABC- idea is very intrigueing. I understand someone is working on that pricipal for an Ultralight machine, but with intermeshing rotors - kaman style. Check it out: http://www.synchrolite.com/UniCopter.html Both machines look interesting after longer study......

Personally and from a visual point, I would prefer a counterrotating system like the S-69.

What I am interested is how the setup was, to change "phase angle" so that the retreading blade has less or zero angle of attack! If possible in layman terms!!! If not, I take the academic answer and try the next half year to figure out what it means!!

Was this done at fix settings or was this somehow depending on [relative forward] speed, as I believe it would be of advantage to have the retreading blade produce lift, as long as it does get into the retreading blade stall region? Electronic, electric, hydraulic, mechanical, or.......?

To the future of tiltwings and rotors:

As long as they do not have helicopter-like autorotation capabilities I would rather stick with some slick ABC-machine.
Did they (Nick & Co.) actually autorotate the S-69? ...to the ground?

3top

Last edited by 3top; 4th Aug 2002 at 02:23.