PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth being a pilot at any price?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2010, 13:41
jetstreamrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To continue this thread but from a different angle. Is there anyone who got into the right hand seat working for an operator, got disillusioned and actually gave it up and found something else?

If you did, what did you end up doing? I have found after focusing everything on being a pilot and actually getting there and currently flying that after becoming a pilot, it is very hard to find anything that one could do that may pay well and be a rewarding career.

I only ask this because I make no bones about it but at times I could really quite happily give up flying and do something else...but what?

Factors that bring me to this decision are:

Made redundant three times in the space of two years.
Now have a job flying and get paid well for it but have no roster which is extremely challenging at times and live in a foreign country away from friends and family.
24/7 standby. Calls at 2am asking me to fly at 4am etc.
Lack of roster means no days off to look forward to...don't we all look forward to the weekend? Imagine never having one.

There are many good points to the job too but when you are having a bad day, the bad points seem to become all too evident.

So just out of interest what suggestions are there? Charter Broking...any others?

Answers on a postcard please!