PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 19th Jul 2010, 05:07
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting note....of all the pilots (who fly as their profession) I have spoken to about this, they all say the same thing....ILS at Richmond fog or not! Maybe they have read my posts and remoak's posts and thought we foolish folk were so convincing that its must be the way to go.
Actually jab, most professional Pilots I know would have put her in a driftdown straight away, ran the drills and pressed nearest on the GPS. If they couldn't hold altitude or had a high ROD with suspect second engine problems they would have taken Richmond. If they could maintain height or had a marginal driftdown they would have taken Bankstown. Probe the facts, Identify the problem, Look for a solution, operate and take stock. Or for the newer method of thinking State the problem, assess the options , fix the problem, evaluate the result.

If I'm honest with myself without the benefit of my current experience and the experience I have learnt from very senior Pilots since leaving the pistons I would have more than likely started a descent and headed for Bankstown too.

I hope whatever the findings are, we and many of the up and coming piston twin drivers or even the 20.7.1b turbine guys use and discuss this and have a few more tricks up their sleeve if the unthinkable happens.