PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 Man Ultra Long Range
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2010, 02:09
Flap10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam If the company is interpreting the AFTLs the same way as you are it was never the intent. You have to remember that the AFTL was drafted a long time ago, before they could foresee themselves doing a flight that has a relatively short flying time, and one that crosses more than 6 time zones.

The addition of "involving a time difference of 6 hours or more..." was there solely to differentiate certain normal ops 3 crew flight to that of 3 crew ultra long range ops, such as SYD, BAH, AKL..etc and nothing else. It was never meant to be interpreted in such a way to allow a flight with 2 crew AND 6 time zones. The line between normal ops and ULR ops was drawn at 6 time zones.

The FDP and number of crew does not dictate the definition of ULR ops rather it is the time zone changes. Hence the very reason for having Table R. Table R wasn't designed for you to do a normal ops flight and then apply physiologiocal rest.

Please spare me the "they must be doing it so it must be legal..we all know that CX interprets any agreement to suit their needs"

Just to add to the debate then, by your interpretation it would seem quite acceptable on those occasions, where lets say they are short of crew to ANC, for the flight to depart HKG two crew, make a quick stop in Sapporo, and then continue to ANC. Each sector is less than 9 hours so requiring only 2 crew and hence the time zones changes become irrelevant and the flight automatically deemed as now normal ops. So early morning departure normal ops, 2 crew, 2 sectors max FDP 13+15 shouldn't be a problem to ANC according to your interpretation. A direct flight makes it a ULR ops and a stopover in Sapporo makes it a normal ops flight, do you think the AFTL were written with that intent????

Since when has the company in the past applied this practice????? NEVER, because they can't! The intent of "time difference of 6 hours or more between the places where the duty period began and ended" was to protect the above scenario.

I am sorry but not quite ready to eat my humble pie yet!

Last edited by Flap10; 19th Jul 2010 at 03:35.