PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning & F-15 photo?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 21:09
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali Barber....Are you sure about the pre positioned tankers...Apparently we have very few, and you had very little chance of finding one. I won't even go into the chance of finding one AT THE TOP OF A CLIMB, as that would be just stupid, which is why no one has suggested they would even be there!

Rubberband 2

You said:
"Barnstormer – flying an intercept on a very high altitude target is not like driving your VW to the minimart.

There are no BP or Esso fill up options open all hours located at a convenient place en route.

The RAF has never had more than a handful of tankers at any one time and they are heavily tasked for many roles. So the chances of finding a tanker trailing hoses at the top of your climb to top off your tanks before you accelerate to head off or intercept the ‘hostile’ are probably 1 in a million. Which is why many comments by ppruners refer to the Mk6 which has more fuel tank capacity than the Mk3".

I have never owned a VW and live in the wrong continent to be able to visit a minimart, so can't pass comment on your theory

On the other hand, I do know that lightnings and tankers often met, due to the stupidly low amount of fuel carried internally on most lightnings.

I also don't see where I have mentioned any particular MK of lightning!

I must say that IMHO you come across as someone who is not just typing their first ever post on PPRuNE.......But very much like an American poster who sent me a PM in the last 24 hours on this very same subject!

At this rate I will be off to check your IP address