PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 16:29
andrijander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote from Chesty Morgan:

They are simply working to the limit of their capacity

And why has that capacity suddenly reduced so significantly?!

How about because the ministry of transportation, in their infinite wisdom, when releasing the royal decree decided to retire form any operational post all and any person over 57y.o.
Just like that, no mitigating measures, just all out from one day to the next. It should be obvious to anybody that if you just do that, you're gonna end up with less staff than you need (especially if you haven't hired in 4 years...you know, people die and stuff). So since February staff has effectively been reduced by approximately 25% (don't know the hard number, but this what I've gathered, so treat it with the appropriate caution).

Matter of fact, the whole thing is soooooo bad that some controllers are doing over 200 hours a month. Compulsory. And that IS shift work (sometimes the only day off they get is after a night shift...which where I work is called a sleeping day. Sometimes not even that and they have to work also the very same afternoon).

Anyway I digress: it's soooo bad because also this royal decree states that controllers will not exceed 1670 hours per year (they can opt for 80 overtime so total 1750h but they are desperate for time off...you know people have families and things called hobbies and such). Let me do the math: 200x12=2400h. If you think summer is bad wait for it. This is just a warm up (pun intended).

But hey people, keep ranting, don't let me disturb you or your conscience.
A.