PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post V1 rejected take off...yeah or neah?
Old 18th Jul 2010, 14:39
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
what if a meteorite hits you after V1 or the sky falls after V1...
Probably not going to be a meteorite, unless it's flicked up off the ground.

Ped mode: OFF

Then there was my Naples incident. So, not always true Mr Flyer.
I'd like to think that we might have seen the offending fuel truck prior to reaching V1. After all, he's probably not doing more than 30 mph and we're doing something like 100 kts... you'd have a few distinct clues that you were heading for a collision; prior to V1.
Naples. BAC 1-11. Hot day. Heat haze...how deep? 2' ? Maybe. That was my guess. At just about V1 - a tad, a bowser became visible out of the top of the haze. We'll get round the back of it!!! Says I. Good plan . . . until we see the great trailer it was pulling.

I went for the next notch of flaps and pulled. Landed again, tidied up the flaps and continued the take off. We never even mentioned it back home. No point, on the list of silly things happening in those days no one would have bothered to read it.

One training skipper, flying with a new captain at Palma, pulled back at what he thought was Vr, and nothing happened. Story goes that they looked at each other, carried on another 10 - 20 kts, and then took off. The training captain went on to a long career in the Ministry of Planes.