PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 10:58
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memories

Heavens, this thread has certainly brought back some memories. I used to hang around Ringway in the mid 50’s and was a member of the short-lived Ringway Spotters Club. I lived in Hyde in those days, two bus journeys away; the Stockport/Ringway service not being very frequent. The resident R.Aux. Air Force squadron, 613 , was still operating DH Vampires, the airport manager was (if my memory serves me correct) a Mr. Harvey and there was a very “spotter friendly” airport policeman, Sgt. Lewis. The resident operator was Airviews who operated an Auster and Dragon Rapide and later adding a Dove (for their service to the Isle of Wight). My very first flight was in the Airviews Dragon Rapide which I received in exchange for manning the ticket booth. Airworks were refurbishing Sabers’ and occasionally one would see a Fairey Firefly Drone. Scheduled traffic at the airport was scant to say the least and occasional visitors like a Flying Tigers Lockheed Constellation a rare treat. The frequency of my visits declined as I became more involved with being an ATC cadet (1196 Breadbury, Romily and Marple squadron) and I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant in 1958. Since then I have traveled into Ringway in a BEA Viscount and out in a Vanguard and many years later in transit to/from the Isle of Man. Fond Memories.