PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferranti Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 08:13
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500 Hi!

AVN was a 500 C model belonging to Sebastian de Ferranti's brother Dennis (who lived in Ireland).

My godfather recalls the story when en-route from visiting Sebastian in Manchester Dennis overflew an army airfield (the name of which escapes my memory) at about 400ft agl without any radio contact.

As soon as Dennis landed at Battersea (I think the controller used to be a chap called Ward?) he said there had been a call from an army base telling him he should call them immediately!

This he did ... to say that he was despatching a car to come collect them to attend a bash he was throwing that evening in London (and was the reason he gave for being in such a hurry and unavailable by radio).

Apparently the entire Army ATC crew attended and, perhaps needless to say, nothing more came of it! What brilliant days they were!

Now, to answer your question: Yes, we are collecting all aircraft related to the Ferranti family (including their fixed wing fleet). Regarding AVN specifically we have the IrishAirPics image of this craft at Galway but, it is such a terrible photo and completely out of focus. If you have something better then ... yes please, it would be most welcome.

I'm PM'ing you my email address in case you are unable to post the photo onto PPRuNe.

Thanks

S.