PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the situation in KAL
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 05:12
break_break

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In that case there's really nothing for you to lose but to put in your application then. I don't have any personal experience, but to put it simply, if you wanna join KAL, just be prepared to pack your bag to be sent home when you are deemed unsuitable or fail your final check ride. To put it in perspective, my pals were pretty honest in saying that the chaps in KAL are not the ideal bunch that you wanna come work with and during the course of your training, you can expect test after test. But hey, if you have nothing on the plate, then go for it I'd say.
What had been posted so far about KAL are essentially what I was told, that the SIM evaluation is going to be drastically differring from individual to individual. Tough luck if you get the infamous nasty instructor, and walk in the park if you get the other. In case you're wondering, was told there are only 2 local instructors who are doing the assessments.
As for the latest, was basically told that whenever there's any "cold war" between management and the union, the one and absolute certainty is that the expat trainees will feel the heat by having check rides failed by the union connected ex Kal check airman.
With much of the feedback that I'd heard, I'm not prepared to join an establishment that still has the mentality of a 10year old when it comes to decision on a professional pilot's life. However, it's the Koreans' airline afterall, they sure have all the rights in doing anything they feel thrilled. On the other hand, I too have all the rights in not taking the plunge (which obviously is what the local boys want).
For your case, I say just give it a shot, with as much positive thinking at you can possibly churn yourself into.
All the best.