PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 04:24
eagle 86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of perspective points
Prior to the build up in helicopters in RSVN the US Army went to great lengths to develop Air Assault doctrine in the early '60s in the US by the 11th AIR Assault Division (Howse Air Mobility Study). Over a period of 2 years this unit developed Air Assault tactics out of Fort Benning, Georgia and became the 1st Cavalry Division on deployment to SV.
The other side of the coin, RAAF 9 Sqd consisted of a bunch of "old and very bold" Meteor pilots who had done a helicopter course and were essentially SAR pilots who took a bunch of "B" model Hueys to SV not knowing WTF they doing.
I personally knew and flew with Frank Riley and Bruce Lane - in fact I still have a .303 SMLE given to me by Frank with his initials FTR stamped on the receiver - both these men were prepared to put their lives on the line to support the Digger. My FIRST hand experience shows this to be the case with 99% of all junior Navy and RAAF pilots who served in Nine. I'll walk naked through Victoria Barracks if you can find an SAS soldier from SVN who says RAAF support was sh1te.
In the early days Army hierarchy hadn't a clue as to how to utilise Huey assets and, yes, some of Nine's more belligerent CO's had a rather tactless way of pointing out Army's lack of knowledge. I've got to say both in the 135th and Nine the pilots most likely to hang out their @rse were Navy.
It is a fact that the US Army lost more helicopters due to accidents than to enemy action in SV. The trend continues today - three of Australia's finest were killed in the latest US Army stuff up. I have a vested interest in this - my son is on his sixth deployment to Afghanistan in the infantry.
By the way, Army is now learning (relearning?) that helicopters are not Land Rovers and that a tradesman can't work all day on a $30 million helicopter and then stand on a gun all night. Have even heard the comment that AAAVN is developing a "RAAF attitude".
GAGS
E86

Last edited by eagle 86; 18th Jul 2010 at 04:38.