PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post V1 rejected take off...yeah or neah?
Old 18th Jul 2010, 03:17
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hen run max cruise power settings all day long...you would think to be consistent with reduced power departures, reduced cruise settings would be pushed as well....hard to believe all the engine wear is in 2 minutes of take off power vs 10 hours of flying basically fire walled at cruise...
Just a curious question, when is the engine putting out more thrust--on take-off or "firewalled at cruise"? Hint--air density. And, what CI does your airline operate at that "firewalled" is cruise power?

Another question, do you land the plane on the last 2,000 or 3,000 feet of runway? And what is the comparative gross weights on take-off versus landing? Hint--Newton's laws apply and cannot be overruled.

Yes, in an extraordinary case not contemplated during certification or training, stopping past V1 may be sensible and a reasonable risk, but that is not how it done in 99.9% of the cases. In the 0.9%, make that 0.09%, cases doing as we train and brief is a far better answer.

This thread, in various forms, has gone on ad nauseum, but Johns I suggest you do several dozen max gross weight take-offs at full power watching the lights at the far end rapidly closing in before baiting an argument on RTO policies. Dust off the overrun a few times.

GF

------------------------Edit------------------------------------

Now, I have re-read page one, I am left wondering John's hatred of reduced power take-offs. What about derates, John? My GLEX has a flex power option in the FMS, so it is not just an airline thing. If you are aware of performance, you know that reduced power may result in somewhat improved controllability near Vmcg (J_T, Mutt, I promise not to mention that V speed again), derates can actually improve runway performance at light gross weights, so there are as many pluses to reduced power as your perceived minuses. Already mentioned, is greatly reduced wear and tear.

Last edited by galaxy flyer; 18th Jul 2010 at 03:44.