PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 Crew commended
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2010, 14:38
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crunch. ditto

sadly, the DC9 crash at CLT in microburst showed a go around, but not at full go around thrust. firewall power wasn't applied till too late...even full power (toga) wasn't applied...then there were the visual illusions.

the business about nine o'clock is so darn interesting. so many people haven't figured out the great wisdom in the design of our instruments and no one told them. it is the thing that is out of place that will kill you...don't read when you can scan. I still remember looking at the engine instruments of a B36 (movie "Strategic Air Comman") but one gauge out of place caught attention.

maybe we are all alive, due to air florida screwing up so badly. but where do we get the idiots out there? I flew with one guy...atis said: freezing rain. he wanted to go saying he couldn't see it. I opened my side window (direct vision window) and stuck my hand out (we were on the ground of course) and I showed him the little ice crystals on my hand.

idiot.

just as we all mentioned in the kentucky crashand the madrida crash about ''killer items", pilots need some "save my ass'' actions that almost always work.

firewall power is one of them...or at least on older jets it would save your ass...as the JT8D would produce firewall power for 8 minutes without damage...after that...oh well.