PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Consequences of failed checkride
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2010, 07:22
bigglesbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fear not, I failed my first checkride for my PPL in the UK and I now am a captain on the north sea having also flown 4 years of SAR in the Scottish Islands. What you need to do with this and any future failures, if you want to become a proffesional pilot, is to look a the failure objectively and learn from your mistakes.

For example, I did my FAA Commercial and CFI so I know how you feel, after the ground segment suggest to your examiner that you need a 10-15 minute comfort break. Take a breath of fresh air, have a pee and some water (peraps NOT at the same time), and show some command potential by realising you need the time. I know the examiners are time limited but 15 minutes normally won't make TOO much of a difference. If you ask and explain why I think any experienced pilot would give you credit for it.

As others have said it isn't a cake walk being a pilot, as there is a chance of failure at any moment and you HAVE to react to it in an appropriate manner.

Chin up, we have all been there just on't give up.

Si

P.S. My first auto on the R22 was exactly as you have described I didn't do anything and the instructor had to do it for me, lesson learnt.