PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which qualifications for a job in Safety?
Old 17th Jul 2010, 04:02
Aviast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which qualifications for a job in Safety?

G'day!

I'm currently starting out on the bottom rung in the safety department of an airline. My medium-to-long-term goal is to work my way up to Safety Manager, beyond that... perhaps COO??? (This is my second career. The first was in IT. Following my dreams... )

I follow the job ads on all the popular recruitment sites and a position came up yesterday which asked for "Certificate IV in Occupational Health and Safety" which got me thinking: What qualifications would be most useful in getting me to my goals?

I have, for all intents and purposes, finished a Bachelor of Aviation degree. I only need to do a bit more flying to satisfy all the requirements for the degree. I suspect the studies I have already done on Safety are to a much greater depth, and more relevant, than a Cert IV, but I'm not sure I could use that to get me into an interview for the aforementioned job. I am keen to continue my professional development and am seriously thinking about doing a Masters of Aviation Management someday.

What qualifications - or experience - do the readers of this group think are required or desirable for a career in Aviation Safety?