PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forcing benign aircraft to stall to make a point.
Old 17th Jul 2010, 00:54
gunshy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling.

Dear People,

Aviation has progressed over the years and there are sequences I have been taught in my youth that are no longer relevant.

That is not to say that wing drop or, heaven forbid, spinning, should not be taught............but in an appropriate aircraft only.

It used to be that training aircraft had wing "wash-out" to try and prevent wing drop. Also leading edges wedges were fitted - and in those aircraft you did not need to force entry for a wing drop.

That produced the "rudder technique" with a collateral requirement to keep the ailerons neutral otherwise the situation would be aggravated. (Auto Rotation)

But now with improved design in trainers the stall characteristics are such that the wing root will stall first and the ailerons retain some measure of control - i.e. not stalled.

So now here is my punch line...........you train for the aircraft and the characteristics it has. You don't force it to do anything else outside for what it was designed. Other aircraft display differing characteristics and that is what you train for ...........a specific aircraft.

So what is the standard stall recovery...first don't. Then if you do this is the recovery FOR THIS AIRCRAFT.

Happy Hi's to all.