PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2010, 00:20
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydraulic Palm Tree, I'd written my post (below) before seeing your offering, but I see we're on almost the same wavelength.

The Opposition would normally be the right avenue to take to stir the pot on a matter like this. However, too many of the bad decisions on equipment purchases for the military were made by the Opposition when they were in power.

If you think the choice of helicopter types for the Army have been bad, ask someone with a Navy background about some of the choices that have been made for fleet replacement. And forget Seasprite. I'm not talking about helicopters, but ships. (Hint: try "Spain" as a starting point. I assure you, the mind will boggle, I kid you not.)

I can see Army Aviation pilots in their incredibly expensive and almost impossible to maintain in the field Rolls Royces following the path of European fighter pilots over the last 20 years - getting 100 hours or less (a LOT less) a year and only being allowed to actually fly their aircraft in once a year carefully stage-managed exercises.

I suspect you'll be logging a lot more sim. time than actual.