PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter returns to Production
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 23:20
V1... Ooops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twochai
In August, 1966, (forty four years ago, for those not mathematically inclined) we departed Downsview, enroute to Farnborough for the first public showing of the Twin Otter, S/N 009, painted in the classic colours of the late, lamented Trans Australia Airlines (RIP), routing Goose Bay (CYYR), Reykjavik (BIRK) and EGKK.

With nine forty five gallon barrels of JP-4 in the cabin (gravity fed into the belly tanks) an unslaved, vacuum driven directional gyro for steering (with a 'trusty' B-1 floating magnetic compass for reference), a single ADF and a VOR for navigation.

I was in seventh heaven. What luxury! Never before in all my 24 years had I had such reliable engines, such modern equipment and thermostatically controlled cockpit heat to boot! The first of a multitude of Twin Otter crossings of the pond to follow, had we but known. But, after Farnborough we absolutely knew we had a winner.
Wow, I am really humbled to read your post. Between Saturday of last week and Tuesday of this week, I had the honour of ferrying the first new production Series 400 Twin Otter from Victoria to Farnborough. We followed a very similar routing to yours (allowing, of course, for the fact we departed from Vancouver Island and not Downsview). Our stops included La Ronge, Saskatchewan; Rankin Inlet and Broughton Island in the NWT; Akureyri, Iceland, and finally Farnborough. We overnighted in Rankin Inlet, Broughton Island, and Akureyri. Like you, we had barrels in the back (from the same engineering drawings used for yours) - because this aircraft has wing tanks, we only installed 8 barrels.

The ferry flight was delightful, clear blue sunny sky all the way until just after making landfall at Stornoway, Scotland. 28 hours total.

We did have a bit more navigational equipment that you did 40 years ago - the new Twin Otter is equipped with the Honeywell Primus Apex suite, which is a derivative of the Honeywell Epic suite used on the larger Gulfstreams and Falcons.

Below is a picture showing our approach to Akureyri. The little red arrow at the top points at the far end of the runway. We enjoyed flying this most unusual approach (in VMC!) - it is a 5° ILS with a very slight dogleg at the end. I never thought I would be able to look out the side window at solid rock whilst firmly established on the glidepath. Remarkable.

Do let me know (by private message here on Pprune) if your travels ever take you to Vancouver Island, I would be delighted to show you our facilities and, hopefully, take you up for a flight.

Michael

Series 400 Twin Otter - ILS Approach to Akureyri, Iceland