PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gearbox Fail Procedure for Osprey
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 22:16
sycamore

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
YBB,thanks,but the devil would be in the details; like, there must/should be `freewheel units` on each synchro shaft I ,would have thought,so in the event of a shaft/g-box failure both engines/rotors can still operate `manually` matching torques; I would think that with a prop failure and maybe an inability to feather that (in fwd flight) then it`s `curtains`..I don`t know if they can be feathered. However,again,if they can be,it may be possible to fly on one prop,at highish speed,then do a high-speed shutdown and glide landing; however,again,the prop rotation direction appears to be ` blades rotating upwards near the fuselage,which takes their `thrust centre`* outboard of the engine in an asymmetric condition(one rotor shut down)-not good.... Again,it would be interesting if someone who has flown it could come along and tell us the truth....B

* asymmetric blade effect,at small angles of attack- more appropriate to f/wing multi engines----just in case someone may not have flown those...

PS- does it have blade-tip `beta` lights,looking at the picture,or is it artistic licence ?