PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 15:10
Piper_Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EGMA:

A few years ago many aircraft were damaged by hail stones, what next; a tornado?
I was there that day (as SLF). It was June 2001. We were #2 for takeoff.

I watched the #1 plane launch into the black cloud that was making its way down the runway, then all hell broke loose. I always wondered what his ride was like, and if he had to return to land. I can't understand why he would start his take off roll into something that looked very much like a tornado marching its way toward us.

As for us, it felt like the plane (737) was being beat up with baseball bats. I saw large numbers of baseball size hailstones hit the wings. After the tempest passed (about 10 min) there were several large dents in the wings. The captain wisely opted for a return to the gate over the protests of several idiots in the rear of the plane.

The storm grounded all the aircraft that were at the gates that day in Denver. Half of United's fleet of BAe 146s were grounded due to the damage. Many of the un-sheltered cars in the parking lots had broken windows. They all needed body work due to the dents.

Conclusion: Denver is no place for rookies. Weather there can be treacherous.

Last edited by Piper_Driver; 16th Jul 2010 at 16:27.