PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 11:57
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mile High Club

Tell you what group,

Denver is one of those cities where escape from rotor clouds and mountain wave is impossible if you fly in there long enough. I thought the old Stapleton airport was worse since it was closer to the rockies causing the turb. They would "sand" the several feet of packed snow and gusts were occasioned which exceeded the limits of all aircraft.

There I was, young Falcon 20 co-pilot at night roaring down the North runway with a brand new Captain on his first trip and we swopped ends going sideways down the runway. Full rudder didn't help. Instinctively, I aborted the takeoff slamming both throttles to idle, because there was little doubt in my mind we were going to wind up in a snow bank.

The Captain may have been dicking with the tiller (I'm not sure) which above 60 knots can only do two undesirable things:

On a dry runway: saw-off the nosetires.

On a wet or icy runway: nothing at all!

Once we skidded to a wild stop and started breathing again, he looked at me, and I looked at him and we knew, we had almost lost it.

I said: "Ya know, we almost ended up out there in the infield, and it's a pretty good dropoff in places".

He said: "Yep, well now that we've had our practice abort, tell em we want to try it again..."

He was one hell of a nice guy, but not a very good pilot.

That's also what we did on the 747 on ice, slam thrust levers to idle hold full rudder and not recommence rev/thrust until directional control was regained.

It's all you can do at high speeds. Otherwise, you have a growing diagonal vector off the runway. Obviously, under V1 you should abort. And on many jets at low speeds on ice the tiller starts skidding and you must use differential brakes and sometimes a little differential power; you now know that the takeoff is going to be dicey. Most jets the pilot not flying holds full down elevator on the roll to dig the nosewheel into the clutter a little better, (may make the tiller effective), then, once he gets the final power set, and pilot flying feels the pedal steering becoming effective, his hand comes off the tiller: Never to return to it!

Advanced landing technique when you're forced to land over crosswind limits due to fuel exhaustion: Reverse harder on the downwind engine (don't try to modulate it or you'll loose it; just set it one or two knobs higher than the upwind engine.. It will double your effective rudder. This is an ATP airmanship emergency thing. You're not going to find it in the book. (Not sure if you can do it anyway in the latter french pushbutton machines.)

Denver is not for kids. United of course, as you recall, had their famous pre-"wind shear" B-727 experience in the 80's? where they took off, got hit by the mountain wave, applied full meltdown power and still did not clear the obstacles on the end (dry microburst.) They hit an approach light pole, but didn't realize it until climb-out because the airplane wouldn't pressurize (because it had a huge pole stuck through the belly tail section). I saw the video on it years later.

But why fly to Denver in the winter time at all? Just be senior and fly to the islands every day!

Crunch - out

Last edited by Captain-Crunch; 17th Jul 2010 at 02:17. Reason: corrected "rudder becoming effective" to: "pedal steering becoming effective" per other readers.