PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground operations at GAAPs post June 3 2010 - safer?
Old 16th Jul 2010, 09:59
TLAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground operations at GAAPs post June 3 2010 - safer?

Having spent far too long sitting on a taxiway at Bankstown this morning trying to get out to the runway, I have to ask - is this an improvement?

I don't remember ever having to wait 10 minutes + just to get to the runup bay before surface movement control was re-introduced. Nor do I remember having so many other aircraft sitting around next to me or taxiing past me. Can't get a word in on the radio, ground can't see you in lots of places, people getting on the radio first and cutting in, people not bothering with a taxi clearance and taxiing anyway then feigning ignorance - could this be why clearance requirements for taxi were removed in the first place?

Problems;

Too much congestion on ground frequency.
Inadequate signage of taxiways.
Unlit parallel runways at night.

Result;
Pilots cutting in and just taxiing anyway.
Aircraft exiting the runway, stopping and waiting for a taxi clearance, blocking the exit.
Aircraft crossing the L/R runways at night without a clearance, because they are practically invisible.
Pilots getting lost - knowing where to go but not knowing which taxiways are called what.
Pilots and controllers getting angry and frustrated at delays.

My question is - how is this safer? Were things so bad that this is an improvement?