PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 16th Jul 2010, 05:06
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KRUSTY 34

I cannot for the life of me conclude anything other than the pilot did in fact throw away altitude.
I would have to agree. And it makes some sense - if you believe that you are in an aircraft that should easily maintain at least say, 1000' altitude on one engine, nowhere near max gross, with no weather issues. He was probably convinced that he would have no problems reaching Bankstown... so in that situation, it isn't entirely surprising that he would do so.

PA39

VYSE is best S/E ROC.....why would you wish to climb?
You don't... but you do need to establish that you can if you need to (missed approach for example). In any case it is close to the most efficient speed for the driftdown.

My point being, blue line is a book figure only, in reality it may not give you the best ROC or in this case ROD.
It will always be closer than anything else you can come up with in an emergency - that's why they put that nice easy blue line there!

Nurse the "good engine, don't flog it to death. MCP for extended periods in a 31 is inviting trouble. Doesn't take long for everything to go into the red.
Well maybe, but no all that relevant as all he had to do was descend... no need for MCP in the situation he was in (until it was too late, anyway).

something was amiss with the live engine. It was all downhill for him. I reckon his fate was sealed very early in the situation.
That's really the only explanation that makes any sense... however it begs the question, why didn't he recognise the problem earlier and carry out a controlled forced landing? There are plenty of big green spaces along his track that would have been fine... better than trying to land on a narrow road filled with obstructions. He seems to have left it far too late to accept that he wasn't going to make Bankstown... and that was what got him (them) in the end.