PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 16th Jul 2010, 04:49
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the endorsement PA39, but I think you're missing my point.

The Mojave will not maintain 7000 feet one engine at 165 Knots! If the "good engine" was performing correctly, then I agree that vyse would possibly create a climb, and I stress possibly. The time however to find out if the "good engine" is indeed good is whilst you have altitude to spare, assuming the sitution occurs at alitude as this one did.

A drift down should be at vyse. Vyse may not be required however to maintain height, but you must move towards vyse in order to determine the performance available. Also, I don't believe his fate was sealed from the beginning if the "good engine" was crook from the start. A performance check (vyse and MCP on the live engine) would have given him the information he needed to conduct a low power/glide aproach to RIC or even time to pick a more suitable landing place than Canley Vale road!

As far as having enough hours to know what's going on with the live engine? Very subjective statement I'm afraid. I like to think that the hours I had on that type, and my years of subsequent experience has helped me realise that it's not over untill it's off an chocked.

Tragically for this pilot and his passenger, the lesson, if he were to have learnt from it, has come at the ultimate price.

Last edited by KRUSTY 34; 16th Jul 2010 at 05:14.